The Gift of Free Form Writing
Posted October 31, 2012on:
Free form writing is an excellent tool for bringing clarity to situations, processing experiences, and healing your history. It may look like journaling, but it is actually very different.
With free form writing you simply start writing what comes up for you without censoring it. At times it may feel like venting on paper. The real gift is that you are giving yourself an opportunity to express your feelings and emotions in a safe way. When you do, you open the door to healing.
This process also works well for gaining clarity about questions or choices and brainstorming ideas. I have had clients use it for bringing forward gratitude and building their confidence by writing their successes or what they like about themselves. The possibilities are endless.
The beauty of free form writing is that it can often surprise you. You never know what is going to come up. It could be a creative new idea or a completely different perspective on something that happened. The trick is to just let the words flow and be open to whatever comes forward.
Guidelines for Free Form Writing
- Set aside uninterrupted time in a setting you feel safe in.
- Always use paper. You do not want any of the negative energy that might come up in your writing to be stored in your computer or other device.
- Do not use your regular journal.
- If your writing does include anything negative, destroy it when you are done. Do not keep it around you or your space. Many of my clients create a ceremony that represents letting go of what they released.
- Acknowledge yourself for what you have done and consider doing something that is self nurturing.